Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hailsham students

The Hailsham students are taught sexuality very casually. It is not immoral at all before marriage. In fact marriage isn't even mentioned I don't think. They are not expected to have children either. They are told that they cannot have children. They are taught how the people "outside" Hailsham treat sex though. The students at Hailsham are very disconnected to the world outside of where they live. It is disturbing to me that there are little values about sexual immorality.
Before, I was thinking that the reason the Hailsham students were so secluded and feared was because they had a disease or something like cancer. Now I think that these students are clones, or something of the sort. The book, Never Let Me Go, is a science fiction, and I think that it is supposed to be in the future. The students main purpose in life is to give donations. They do not have any other purpose. They cannot have children, they are secluded and not taught the same things as other students. They are "special" and different from the population outside of Hailsham, they are even different from their teachers.
I really like the story so far, mainly because I am so confused still. It will be very interesting figuring out the answers to all of the unanswered questions.

No comments: